Is Homework Killing Us?

Kate Brodkin

As if college applications, relationships, and extra curricular activities weren’t already enough, dealing with the stress of homework is more than a burden. It might even be killing us!
Around the halls in Winter Park high, I often hear students reporting to their friends about either how hard the homework was last night, or how much homework they have tonight. Having a conversation on the topic of homework is often normal and natural, however, the workload that the students are experiencing is astonishing.
I constantly ask myself, “Is this homework really worth completing for the amount of time and effort it is about to take out of my day?” I’ve never truly answered myself, instead, I surveyed some students at Winter Park high school to try and get clarity.
A sample of these students answered that they are doing more than 3 hours of homework a night, after most of them have after school activities (work, sports, etc.). Most students surveyed said that they get home around 6:30, and go to bed anytime around 11pm-2am. This gives students around four to five hours of homework to complete, exhaustively disregarding getting ready for bed, eating dinner, and any down time they can acquire.
As a student myself, I have many concerns for the high levels of stress that I intake on a daily basis. When I have an engrossed state of mind on completing homework, it won’t get done. So how do we overcome this obstacle?
One way, according to many students at Winter Park, is for teachers to help students create a balance with personal activities, more forgiving policies, and limiting time commitments for homework. That way, the work can still stay in the school curriculum, but without killing us.
Many researchers believe that when students are assigned a workload of homework, it adds unnecessary stress to them and can often do more harm than good. For instance, a Stanford University statistic shows that 56 percent of students considered homework a primary source of stress. This pressure put on students, mainly starting from a young age to complete a large amount of homework to prepare them for high school or college, is colossal and inessential.
As long as teachers continue to assign the work of their choice to students, the probability of having less homework is scarce. You may be asking yourself, “Is there any solution to this problem?”
The answer, yes! Learn how to manage your time. I know, that’s probably what your parents have said to you, but it’s true! Learning how to manage your time can drastically minimize the time that you spend completing homework. Buy yourself a cute planner or journal, and talk yourself through the work and amount of time you want to spend doing that work.
Homework will continue to be present in your life, whether you work from a desk at school or a desk at a million dollar company. Try to enjoy the time you spend learning new subjects, especially if they’re beneficial to the world around you.