Popular Club Sports

Erin Stanley, Reporter

Around the age of 14-18 student-athletes start to look for ways to improve their statistics to help with possible scholarships for college. Some students who play sports choose not to play in college, but the ones who do tend to play club sports often want to continue in their later years.  Club sports most often include soccer, basketball, football, volleyball, baseball, softball, and many more. 

The opportunity that club sports provide is allowing athletes to grow in their sport, improve, and stay conditioned. Different sports start at different times due to seasonal popularity. Club sports start in the off-season right after the school year ends. They are a great way to stay in shape and meet new people. Another reason some people choose to do club sports is to have an outlet for self- improvement. 

Club sports are good for publicity as well. All through college coaches look during the junior and senior years of high school season for potential new athletes they also look during your club season. Coaches are able to observe how you act when you’re playing and on the sidelines. To them, who you are as a person is what matters the most. Coaches want to make sure they bring in athletes and people that will help to further their program and the team. 

Senior shortstop for  softball Kelly Keating shares that “In order to improve you need to work hard and not worry about what other people are doing, focus on yourself and your path to collegiate sports.” Kelly is also committed to play softball at Florida Southern College.